Not related at all to the game or group
Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

NVidia Telemetry services calling home.

Postby Loriath » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:35 pm

Seems they are collecting data. Here is the info: https://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-Car ... -Scheduler

And here is how to disable it: http://www.majorgeeks.com/news/story/nv ... le_it.html
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

RadioActiveLobster
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: RadioActiveLobster
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: NVidia Telemetry services calling home.

Postby RadioActiveLobster » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:41 pm

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby Loriath » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:13 am

Maybe for some but I don't want to share some of that information with them. They have no need of my installed software and other info.

Thank Microsoft Telemetry debacle, Snowdon, and other leaks/data mining for peoples reactions. I own my data, they don't and I am sure that there are others that feel like me and others that don't care. I prefer to have the choice and mine is to say nope.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~

uvelius
Master
Master
CMDR: Uvelius Sång
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby uvelius » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:43 am

It's a bit the same like with those tablet Apps that all "need" to access your microphone.
No they don't.

Basically, a service should not be allowed to collect more information than required to provide it's service. It might be slightly different with free services that make their money through advertising, but for a paid hardware ... no way. And don't forget that a "call home service" can easily be changed (even in the unreadably long TOS) to transmit sensible data.

Not only don't we know how the information will be used, companies can also not be trusted to store the information securely from hacker attacks, as many instances of database hijackings have proven.

smartroad
Master
Master
CMDR: Lase Mooray (PC) smartroad78 (XBOX)

Postby smartroad » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:07 am

uvelius wrote:It's a bit the same like with those tablet Apps that all "need" to access your microphone.
No they don't.

I chatted to a dev once about permissions. In Android at least permissions seem to be a broad brush. If the app touches anything, even minor, then the permission is asked. The app may not even use the mic but it does use something in the audio sub system and that needs to ask permission. Not sure how true that all is though!

At least though you at earned about it, unless it is tucked into the essay that is the terms and conditions, not once had the Nvidia drivers/software told me it is collecting data from me.
Group Policy - The Order of Mobius General Orders

Hrdina
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Hrdina

Postby Hrdina » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:07 pm

RadioActiveLobster wrote:Much ado about nothing...

Loriath wrote:Maybe for some but I don't want to share some of that information with them. They have no need of my installed software and other info.

Thank Microsoft Telemetry debacle, Snowdon, and other leaks/data mining for peoples reactions. I own my data, they don't and I am sure that there are others that feel like me and others that don't care. I prefer to have the choice and mine is to say nope.

Not only that, but the linked article at GamersNexus was not exactly comforting. It notes that the TLS packets are encrypted, then jumps to this conclusion:
GamersNexus wrote:We're not data mining and packet analyzing experts, but from the data we've collected and from our conversations with nVidia, nothing here appears to be damning or personally identifiable.

It may be true, but somehow this is stated as fact without actually being able to examine what's being transmitted.
Jameson & Son are my copilots

JustSomeGuy
Master
Master
CMDR: Murhapuro

Postby JustSomeGuy » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:50 am

And they may very well start collecting more data with the next updated driver.
I play on PC, in the Mobius PVE Eurasia group.

Walter
Master
Master
CMDR: Walter Wall

Postby Walter » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:27 am

While I share your concerns to an extent, your reaction is predicated on the thought that Nvidia is actually interested in you (just like the rest of us).

We're nothing but insignificant specks of data that only have meaning if our returns turn out to be the flap of the butterfly wing that can influence a change of developmental direction.

Facebook and Twitter, on the other hand, are in a quite different kettle of potential parasites.

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby Loriath » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:32 pm

Walter, it is not that they are interested in me, you or anyone else. It is however, in TODAY'S day and age, Another data point that GOVERNMENT agencies can now use and we will never know they have it because secret letters threaten them with treason if they say anything and they must comply. It is not limited to just the USA and the NSA. GCHQ, CSIS and others do this. So less data available, the better for all of us.

Like a building, there are many ways to gain entrance to the information that is kept inside. This is just another. In my opinion, they have no reason to know anything more than I am using their software. Anything else MUST be opt in. Otherwise, I will block it to the best of my ability.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~

Walter
Master
Master
CMDR: Walter Wall

Postby Walter » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:08 am

I suspect that I'm a little more resigned than you.

But the thought of little acts of resistance does appeal - a quiet guerilla war against the boot poised to stamp on the human face for ever.

And I've just spent two years converting Empire systems into democracies - why not transfer some of that contrariness into RL?.

Return to “Off-Topic”