Deus Ex : MD

Not related at all to the game or group
smartroad
Master
Master
CMDR: Lase Mooray (PC) smartroad78 (XBOX)
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Deus Ex : MD

Postby smartroad » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:26 am

I really loved the DX franchise (yes even the second one ;)) but this latest one has me regretting buying the thing. The controls are just rubbish! In Human Rev you used to RMB to duck and cover behind, now you have to press F to do it and RMB is ironsight. Given that my brain see's MD visually like HR it wants to use all those stored muscle memory actions which now don't work. The mouse is also over sensitive with no ingame adjustments. I can change the DPI on the mouse but then the mouse moves painfully slowly on the menus.

If anyone is on the fence with this game, I would suggest avoiding for a while, see if things get better. Oh and this is before you have to really tweak the graphics to get it to run at anything close to a decent framerate :( Oh and microtransactions... what is this a f**king freemium game? NO I PAID AAA MONEY FOR THIS!

-edit-
and a three hour intro/advert/self backslapping video montage that you can't bloody skip either

-edit 2-
Changed the subject as I am less angry now then when I wrote this :lol:
Group Policy - The Order of Mobius General Orders

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Deus Ex : MD - Rubbish

Postby TorTorden » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:43 am

You can't just rebind the controls?

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

smartroad
Master
Master

Postby smartroad » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:52 am

TorTorden wrote:You can't just rebind the controls?

Yeah, but the way they work has changed. With Human Rev you used to hold the button to stay hidden and the directional controls locked to just be hidden. Now it is a toggle so the game makes assumptions as to when you want to come out of hiding (which is never until I press it) and you move away from your hiding place - normally into the view of who you are hiding from :x

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:10 am

Honestly Deus ex (the very first one) was only great for the time, as I think back on it the story is fairly bland villain/conspiracy bullshit (seriously I half expect there be a subplot about faking the Apollo program)

But for the time there really only was it and maybe the looking Glass games (system shock 1-2/thief 1-2) that even came close to having a fleshed out story of any kind with a little character development thrown in.
Most games at the time had just a silent protagonist, boiled down to a trigger finger and nothing more.
So yes like star wars Deus ex to me completely fail the "taking off the rose tinted glasses" test (Deus Ex is a better story than star wars but not by much)
But for the time it was gaming history they took the genre further than before.
But the IP and story/world is a bland take on plebeian philosophy on societal morality.
Reeking of some college lit major trying to justify his student loans and playing with conspiracy theories.

That worked out for the first game.
Then the suits took over and we got the second one. Now these two.
I have only played the first one but I remember getting so bored with I started hacking the game to cheat my way through the story since I got bored quicksaving before every shot.
Played it once never touched again.

This latest reboot was just bland with more bullshit so have no real interest in getting it.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Samoth
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Samoth

Postby Samoth » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:11 am

I HATED the RMB function in Human Revolution. Aiming is supposed to always be RMB ever since you could first aim down the sights in a game. Using F to hide is how it should be.

Tweaking graphics is something you have to do in literally every PC game. I have an old i7 2600 3.4 GHz with a GTX 970 and 16 gb of RAM; I'll probably be able to run it on High settings with a lower AA setting and little to no post-processing or Ambient Occlusion. Very High and Ultra settings in games today are just that: made for very high and ultra systems. If you don't have the latest hardware, then don't even try to use those settings. You should know this before you purchase any game.

smartroad
Master
Master

Postby smartroad » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:05 am

Samoth wrote:I HATED the RMB function in Human Revolution. Aiming is supposed to always be RMB ever since you could first aim down the sights in a game. Using F to hide is how it should be.

Tweaking graphics is something you have to do in literally every PC game. I have an old i7 2600 3.4 GHz with a GTX 970 and 16 gb of RAM; I'll probably be able to run it on High settings with a lower AA setting and little to no post-processing or Ambient Occlusion. Very High and Ultra settings in games today are just that: made for very high and ultra systems. If you don't have the latest hardware, then don't even try to use those settings. You should know this before you purchase any game.

I am not a FPS gamer so have little experience with it outside of DE and Half Life :lol: With the RMB, had DE:HR used this control then I probably wouldn't have any issues with it. The problem (for me, I admit) is the change from the original control method for the same character. My brain doesn't see this as a different game from HR so it is trying to use the muscle memory from it and when I get in to a tight spot I end up ironsighting rather than hiding :lol:

With the graphics I know you have to tweak on a PC, I've been doing it since I had Doom on my 486SX (had to play with in a tiny window as I had the SX and not the DX!). I have an older i5 but a Nvidia 1080 (overclocked) gfx card. I set the game to 'high' as I didn't want to push ultra due to the CPU bottleneck potential. Even then I had to go in a tweak even more as it was tanking. I now have it at a setting that works quite good. Well it did until I got the crash when the train station bomb went off. I can't face having to wait through the intro sequence again to see if it is a one off (although I have seen a few with people saying they have the same issue) :roll:

To be fair to the game, I wrote the original post after I had literality died 3 times due to the RMB issue and ended up popping up when I meant to hide, so I was pretty frustrated. Now I have started to get a bit more into it (up until the crash anyway) and it isn't that bad. I'll wait until a patch happens and try again. In the meantime, back to head for Jaques :D

Samoth
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Samoth

Postby Samoth » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:07 am

smartroad wrote:
Samoth wrote:I HATED the RMB function in Human Revolution. Aiming is supposed to always be RMB ever since you could first aim down the sights in a game. Using F to hide is how it should be.

I am not a FPS gamer so have little experience with it outside of DE and Half Life :lol: With the RMB, had DE:HR used this control then I probably wouldn't have any issues with it. The problem (for me, I admit) is the change from the original control method for the same character. My brain doesn't see this as a different game from HR so it is trying to use the muscle memory from it and when I get in to a tight spot I end up ironsighting rather than hiding :lol:

With the graphics I know you have to tweak on a PC, I've been doing it since I had Doom on my 486SX (had to play with in a tiny window as I had the SX and not the DX!). I have an older i5 but a Nvidia 1080 (overclocked) gfx card. I set the game to 'high' as I didn't want to push ultra due to the CPU bottleneck potential. Even then I had to go in a tweak even more as it was tanking. I now have it at a setting that works quite good. Well it did until I got the crash when the train station bomb went off. I can't face having to wait through the intro sequence again to see if it is a one off (although I have seen a few with people saying they have the same issue) :roll:

To be fair to the game, I wrote the original post after I had literality died 3 times due to the RMB issue and ended up popping up when I meant to hide, so I was pretty frustrated. Now I have started to get a bit more into it (up until the crash anyway) and it isn't that bad. I'll wait until a patch happens and try again. In the meantime, back to head for Jaques :D

Spoilers! I don't have it yet! :D

Glad to know it's running on your system though. What are your graphics settings?

smartroad
Master
Master

Postby smartroad » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:14 am

Samoth wrote:Spoilers! I don't have it yet! :D

Glad to know it's running on your system though. What are your graphics settings?

No spoiler - it is what was seen in the launch demo videos ;)

Settings wise:

MSAA: x2
Vsync: x2 buff
Texture Quality: Ultra
Texture Filtering: 4x anisotropic
Shadow Quality: Very High
Ambient Occlusion: On
Contact hardening Shadows: Off
Parallax Occlusion Mapping: High
DoF: Very High
LoD: Very High
Volumetric Lighting: Off
Screenspace Reflections: On

Other options:
Temporal AA
Sharpen
Bloom
Subsurface scattering
Chomatic Aberration (didn't seem to make much difference on or off either performance or visual)
Tessellation

clivewil
Master
Master
CMDR: clivewil + clivus

Re: Deus Ex : MD

Postby clivewil » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:38 am

i never used the cover system in DXHR and i'm hoping i can ignore it in DXMD too. which i will, as long as there's no automatic parts of it that can't be unbound or turned off. i haven't got far enough into it yet to tell.
-- Fly safely, shoot straight, kill quickly, land softly --

AJH
Competent
Competent
CMDR: AJH

Re: Deus Ex : MD

Postby AJH » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:43 pm

Honestly, I've had the opposite experience. I played it for about an hour longer than I should have last night. Part of it may be that I don't actually remember the controls to human revolution and also being used to the controls changing frequently between games. The 12 minute intro video is skipable and I've had no framerate issues at all on my GTX980, even running everything but MSAA maxed (with MSAA off).

The only real complaints I've had is the lack of DX12 support on day one, since I'm not likely to play through it again, but don't think it is worth waiting a month for, the few cutscenes you can't skip rather than behaving like the dialogs you can (but that's pretty minor), and the way that some of the hacking screens are now obscured so that you can't actually tell what you need to do (yet, if you do it more than once, it stays the same, so you can break it by simply restoring saves.)

Return to “Off-Topic”