GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: GlobusDiablo
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Star Citizen?

Postby GlobusDiablo » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:40 am

KRRONOSS wrote:
GlobusDiablo wrote:All right, I'll speak my mind on this matter. I hope Mobius stays an E: D exclusive. Because; it's more exclusive. :)

And regarding release: As long as suckers (sorry) keep pouring millions of funding into "trinkets/development" there really is no need to ever release a game. They're making more than enough money with the game in development.

Personally, I'm dumbfounded.

Then I'm a sucker. Apology accepted...

I was in it for Squad 42 mostly and that's been "postponed"or "delayed" or some shit. Bah.

Cheers KRRONOSS. Nevermind. The hype for SC has been out of this world (pun intended) in my opinion, so I can see how some could be drawn to it. As an old time Elite player I was ever only looking in one direction and never really gave SC a second thought. But hey ho.

Let's enjoy this game we have right now instead shall we? See you in the black Commander. :)

KRRONOSS
Competent
Competent
CMDR: KRRONOSS
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby KRRONOSS » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:36 am

GlobusDiablo wrote:Cheers KRRONOSS. Nevermind. The hype for SC has been out of this world (pun intended) in my opinion, so I can see how some could be drawn to it. As an old time Elite player I was ever only looking in one direction and never really gave SC a second thought. But hey ho.

Let's enjoy this game we have right now instead shall we? See you in the black Commander. :)

TBH I didn't know about E:D when I bought SC. I had been playing DDO for years and was tired of it (pretty sure that MMO is in its death throes). SC looked good, great even and it's hard to tell sometimes from the little they release (just look at NMS, which I didn't buy into as it never appealed to me visually). After I tinkered with what there is of SC I found Elite. Never looked back. :)

Fly safe. o7
Astronomy compels the soul to look upward, and leads us from this world to another.

Plato, The Republic, 342 BCE.

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: GlobusDiablo

Postby GlobusDiablo » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:48 am

KRRONOSS wrote:...Fly safe. o7

Aye Commander. And you. :)

Darr Valen
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Darr Valen

Postby Darr Valen » Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:57 pm

I'm a golden ticket holder, and original backer of the campaign (very very very early).
But I had to stop visiting the forums over 2 years ago. Well, shit, more like 3 or more now.. my how time has flown. I stopped going, because the threads were generally "OMG GREATEST GAME EVER" when nothing had really been produced, or "OMG worst game EVER IT GAVE ME CANCER!!!!1!". After the move from the first forums, something just changed.. probably around the time when they broke one of the earliest promises, the "development process will be closed to only those that backed the game" and the forums were left wide open, making it easy to start crusades. You could no longer voice dissension, and if you did, you'd likely get your comment edited. (seriously, [redacted] came around for a reason..)

Being very skeptical of cultism, I decided I'd just stop following the games' progress and forum life. Still quite disappointed in the amount of broken or mislead promises, but at least now I'm not so angry when the inevitably break another date target, or just flat out BS about something.

and lastly, Elite is a fun game, but the Devs are by no-means exempt from doing stupid things. As I've said many times, if I'd known I even had the option to do more than dogfight in open mode, I'd have backed this game from the very start. FDEV has failed at communication in a very large way, leading to players like me never backing the game. (until they stumble upon EPVE and fall in gamemode love.)

So now I sit back and just don't follow any Star Citizen news unless it catches my eye. I expect the game will launch by 2018, or run out of money. I've written my backing off as a hard lesson learned, so if it fails, it fails. It it doesn't, I'll continue on with my original goal of my own private server, unless they break that promised "you can make your own server" promise from the start.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:16 pm

Darr Valen wrote:I'm a golden ticket holder, and original backer of the campaign (very very very early).
But I had to stop visiting the forums over 2 years ago. Well, shit, more like 3 or more now.. my how time has flown. I stopped going, because the threads were generally "OMG GREATEST GAME EVER" when nothing had really been produced, or "OMG worst game EVER IT GAVE ME CANCER!!!!1!". After the move from the first forums, something just changed.. probably around the time when they broke one of the earliest promises, the "development process will be closed to only those that backed the game" and the forums were left wide open, making it easy to start crusades. You could no longer voice dissension, and if you did, you'd likely get your comment edited. (seriously, [redacted] came around for a reason..)

Being very skeptical of cultism, I decided I'd just stop following the games' progress and forum life. Still quite disappointed in the amount of broken or mislead promises, but at least now I'm not so angry when the inevitably break another date target, or just flat out BS about something.

and lastly, Elite is a fun game, but the Devs are by no-means exempt from doing stupid things. As I've said many times, if I'd known I even had the option to do more than dogfight in open mode, I'd have backed this game from the very start. FDEV has failed at communication in a very large way, leading to players like me never backing the game. (until they stumble upon EPVE and fall in gamemode love.)

So now I sit back and just don't follow any Star Citizen news unless it catches my eye. I expect the game will launch by 2018, or run out of money. I've written my backing off as a hard lesson learned, so if it fails, it fails. It it doesn't, I'll continue on with my original goal of my own private server, unless they break that promised "you can make your own server" promise from the start.

Probably will end up either launching soon, sq42 next year or something.
Or.
It will keep getting postponed until the backers get fed up and start a class action.
CR, loose and is forced to sell the IP to an established publisher who gives him ten cents on the dollar and pushes it out the door.

I didn't and still haven't pledgded cause I remember the hoopla around Chris Roberts in the earlier games, particularly freelancer, that also promised everything and never delivered anything until Microsoft studios bought digital anvil and pushed freelancer and Roberts out.
The guy has practically not said no to a feature suggestion and been the poster boy for feature creep. No I wasn't going to give him any money until he actually delivered something.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Darr Valen
Expert
Expert

Postby Darr Valen » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:20 am

TorTorden wrote:
Darr Valen wrote:I'm a golden ticket holder, and original backer of the campaign (very very very early).

Probably will end up either launching soon, sq42 next year or something.
Or.
It will keep getting postponed until the backers get fed up and start a class action.
CR, loose and is forced to sell the IP to an established publisher who gives him ten cents on the dollar and pushes it out the door.

I didn't and still haven't pledgded cause I remember the hoopla around Chris Roberts in the earlier games, particularly freelancer, that also promised everything and never delivered anything until Microsoft studios bought digital anvil and pushed freelancer and Roberts out.
The guy has practically not said no to a feature suggestion and been the poster boy for feature creep. No I wasn't going to give him any money until he actually delivered something.

Keep this in mind though. The starting campaign was very small. It didn't look as if the thing would be backed to even $1,000,000. If it is a con, it's a really good long con.. cause it was "If I can get this small amount, we can make a game that we want to play!". Then after it blew up, the original "I only need 20 million to not have investors" came back up.. and we all assumed this was the case. Then again, it was also once he got enough, they would just do everything promised. Back then, they also updated at every million. I'm sure that was stopped since it was clear, they were raking in a lot of money with absolutely no more goals being attached. He stopped even addressing them.

I pledged because there was nothing outside of X3 worth playing for space sims.. and certainly not in MP land. No, EVE doesn't count, cause EVE if frakking click here, click there, click everrrrrrywhere. It's more like a mobile game than PC. i digress. It's easy to look back in hindsight and say "Oh well, NMS and E:D are out. Just play those." But NMS wasn't announced and E:D wasn't either, IIRR. Besides, as shitty as Freelancer was in retrospect, it was years of fun on PC. I had been replaying it on modded MP servers up until 2010 or so. Got that nostalgia itch that there was no salve to, except a game from 2003. But again, this all started out with a small pledge... and then grew out of control.

So now, because thanks in large part to SC, I don't back Kickstarter projects for the most part, and I don't spend money on projects that could use some funding to get off the ground. It's left me burned badly. Star Citizen looks good, movement is utter dogshit and will be fixed but never is, and I don't know if it will ever be more than what it is now. 100 systems, sure.. but if they never get released, or end up getting rushed and turn into copy/paste systems, who cares?

Again, I've mostly written the game off as a bad investment now. If it actually ends up delivering, which it likely won't before CR randomly abandons the project and sells it off to Microsoft, I'll be a happy and surprised backer-non-investor or whatever we are called now to avoid liability.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Postby TorTorden » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:47 am

No I'm not saying it'a con.
Not at all, I'm just saying the guy in charge has a history of not being able to finish anything without a major kick in the pants.

I personally couldn't abide the travel mechanics in X, that and all the systems felt utterly square with bits in it.
Kinda like zork with east,west,north,south gates.

Couldn't agree more, EVE was a right click menu sim, heck more like an OS trainer than anything.
As for general gameplay it was more of an RTS, only 99,99% of the players was an individual zerg..

I didn't pledge then or yet, since I both was aware of this guy's reputation, and of course at the time of that kickstarter I could barely afford a pack of instant noodles :P
And it also just reeked of being, too good to be true.

At this point, I doubt he needs my $50, And see no reason to give them until he actually deliver something.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Darr Valen
Expert
Expert

Postby Darr Valen » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:12 am

TorTorden wrote:No I'm not saying it'a con.
Not at all, I'm just saying the guy in charge has a history of not being able to finish anything without a major kick in the pants.

I personally couldn't abide the travel mechanics in X, that and all the systems felt utterly square with bits in it.
Kinda like zork with east,west,north,south gates.

Couldn't agree more, EVE was a right click menu sim, heck more like an OS trainer than anything.
As for general gameplay it was more of an RTS, only 99,99% of the players was an individual zerg..

I didn't pledge then or yet, since I both was aware of this guy's reputation, and of course at the time of that kickstarter I could barely afford a pack of instant noodles :P
And it also just reeked of being, too good to be true.

At this point, I doubt he needs my $50, And see no reason to give them until he actually deliver something.

Yeah, he certainly doesn't need my money either. That's why I restrict my access to the site. I don't want to get swept up again, and end up much more invested than I already am. I'd love to sell my account, but that's no longer allowed at all.

I backed pre-kickstarter. Really, I was so early to back I'm in the low thousands. I'd have backed sooner, but the site was down and I had to go through ben to get my account going properly.

In hindsight, it's sort of good I backed.. because I didn't have enough left for my new rig, and I decided to wait until the next spring. So I didn't end up with a 680 and a 3770k. Both of which were not all that great.

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:52 pm

I don't know much about Star Citizen, but I liked what I heard a couple years ago, about the same time I heard about ED. I even thought Squadron 42 was already out, or was that just alpha or something? Anyway, is SC even going to be a VR title? All I've seen are weird combinations of 1st and 3rd person game play. I don't think I like the idea of 3rd person in VR, although I haven't tried it yet (not even Lucky's Tale).
It's time to give this another go.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Postby TorTorden » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:23 pm

Roger Wilco Jr wrote:I don't know much about Star Citizen, but I liked what I heard a couple years ago, about the same time I heard about ED. I even thought Squadron 42 was already out, or was that just alpha or something? Anyway, is SC even going to be a VR title? All I've seen are weird combinations of 1st and 3rd person game play. I don't think I like the idea of 3rd person in VR, although I haven't tried it yet (not even Lucky's Tale).

It's suprisingly awesome.
No seriously it really really works.
Jumpy, plattforming games like Lucky's tail really benefit from the depth perception.
FPS on the other hand actually could make me a little queasy.

So honestly only way to do FPS great in VR is room play, but room play has issues.
Like I have walls and stuff around my house and thus the constantly having to teleport myself around the VR world in order for me not to incur a head injury in the real world gets old.

I saw that hour long demo of SC and honestly, I saw nothing I wouldn't expect and I was very surprised as to how shit the view was from inside the cockpit on the 'whatever that ship was'.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Return to “Off-Topic”