Not related at all to the game or group
SNIPE
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: MARK SNIPE
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Are you a sucker?

Postby SNIPE » Tue May 24, 2016 5:30 am

Nope, doesn't work for me, I call it what it is. Even if its 59.90, I still round it up to 60. Actually when I see pricing like that I just get suspicious and makes me look for any other deception.

AndyB
Master
Master
CMDR: Andy Bulman

Postby AndyB » Tue May 24, 2016 5:38 am

it gets worse, they've now reversed it. you know all those pound shops that used to sell you a full bottle of shampoo for £1? they now get smaller sizes made for them so instead of buying the standard size you get a smaller one. because its in a pound shop you think 'ooo that's cheap' when you are actually paying more for less.
Combat: Elite Trade: Elite Exploration: Elite

Mobius PvE Group Facebook Admin,
Mobius PvE Group Forum Moderator,
Mobius PvE Lead Admin,
Mobius PvE America Lead Admin,
Mobius Factions Assistant Admin,
Mobius PvE Eurasia Assistant Admin,

Gorf
Master
Master
CMDR: Hardy

Postby Gorf » Tue May 24, 2016 5:37 pm

I read somewhere that the .99 instead of a round amount was to force (most of the time) the shop assistant to use the till to get change for the customer. Otherwise, they could just pocket the notes. Don't know how true that is...

Cmdr Chemtrail
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Brassik

Postby Cmdr Chemtrail » Tue May 24, 2016 7:58 pm

Gorf wrote:I read somewhere that the .99 instead of a round amount was to force (most of the time) the shop assistant to use the till to get change for the customer. Otherwise, they could just pocket the notes. Don't know how true that is...

If you was on the fiddle, you'd always have a bag of 1p's close by.... Or so i heard :roll:

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Xebeth » Tue May 24, 2016 9:21 pm

Gorf wrote:I read somewhere that the .99 instead of a round amount was to force (most of the time) the shop assistant to use the till to get change for the customer. Otherwise, they could just pocket the notes. Don't know how true that is...

I was led to believe that it all started in the US. One of the large newspapers worked out that their papers were not selling because people didn't want to end up with a pocket full of change after spending the 1c on a paper (at this time shops sold things in whole amounts e.g. $1). So they convinced a bunch of shops to start selling stuff at 1c below the current price to make sure people would have a penny for a newspaper.

The shops that did this noticed they sold more of the stuff when it was 99c vs. $1, and so the trend caught on.
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

Return to “Off-Topic”