Not related at all to the game or group
Avago-Earo
Master
Master
CMDR: AVAGO EARO
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Good space Science fiction books?

Postby Avago-Earo » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:17 pm

The War Of The Worlds by H.G. Wells (forget the films. The Jeff Wayne record did give it some justice)

There is some science in the book and this coincides with the proposal/argument from astronomers at the time (serialised in 1897 and first published as a book an 1898) that intelligent life existed on Mars. At the beginning there is some geological and evolutionary proposals mentioned as a kind of background explanation and further into the book a delve into Martian biology and speculation on the mechanics of their weaponry but as far as I can recall that's it on the 'sciency' front so it may not suit die hard Sci-Fi fans, but it is probably one of, if not the first book of it's kind.

The reason I recommend this book is because of the thoroughness with which it is written. Wells' ability to describe situations and emotions with such accuracy and at the same time also poetic beauty puts him up there, in my humble opinion, among the best authors ever. I have read the book a dozen times and although it isn't particularly long, there is always something new. I felt as though I was walking in the author's shoes and I could smell the electricity in the air in the chapter 'in The Storm' and the terrifying images revealed with each lightning flash through the darkness.

The book was written in the style of a journal, the authors first person character being a journalist and this is probably one of the the reasons it comes across with such authenticity.

Anyway, enjoy your search for Science Fiction books.
"Wibble"

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:49 pm

I vote for the "Rama" series......Loved em......And the Infocom adventure on 5.25 on the C64....

I'm not a great Sci-Fi reader......

Dune done my ead in......

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

Pyropaten
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Pyropaten

Postby Pyropaten » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:26 am

Thank you so much for the great answers! i have a lot to look into now :) this was just what i needed

UnmarkedBoxcar
Master
Master
CMDR: UnmarkedBoxcar

Postby UnmarkedBoxcar » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:00 pm

Cmdr Kharma wrote:Dune done my ead in......

Mine too.

bladder
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Bladder

Postby bladder » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:47 pm

If you like a bit of grand space opera then there's the works of Peter F Hamilton. The Nights Dawn Trilogy is my favourite.

bladder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Avago-Earo
Master
Master
CMDR: AVAGO EARO

Postby Avago-Earo » Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:58 am

Not quite audio books but it may interest some of you: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/programmes/g ... asy/player
"Wibble"

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath

Postby Loriath » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:20 am

Avago-Earo wrote:Not quite audio books but it may interest some of you: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/programmes/g ... asy/player

Oh that is such a great list. I am very sad it is not available outside the U.K.
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

Hrdina
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Hrdina

Postby Hrdina » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:36 pm

Loriath wrote:
clivewil wrote:i also enjoyed 'The Mote In God's Eye' by Niven/Pournelle, but it is more about an alien encounter than space per se

Yep Good Read.

Yes, this is a really good book. The second (The Gripping Hand) is not bad, but the first is superior.

I also echo the recommendations for Clarke's Rama series, as well as many of the Known Space books by Niven, or the Heechee saga by Pohl (which I've only just started).

I agree with whoever mentioned that Weber's series are good, but after the first few books the amount of new material seems to decrease rapidly and I get bored of them.

On author I have not seen mentioned is Poul Anderson. His stories about Nick van Rijn, David Falkayn, and Dominic Flandry all tie together and are great reads. There have been "recent' reissues of this series that include some really good introductory material by the editor and by Sandra Miesel.
Jameson & Son are my copilots

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath

Postby Loriath » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:34 am

Has anyone read the Lost Fleet series ??
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:17 pm

Loriath wrote:Has anyone read the Lost Fleet series ??

Yeah, I liked that series. The last I read, I think, was when they visited Sol and got into some trouble. I think there's been 1 or maybe 2 since then that I need to catch up with.

***edit***
Just checked and I had finished the original series. It was the sequel series "Beyond the Frontier" that I still have the last couple books to read. ;)
Last edited by Roger Wilco Jr on Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's time to give this another go.

Return to “Off-Topic”