Hrdina
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Hrdina
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Good space Science fiction books?

Postby Hrdina » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:22 am

Roger Wilco Jr wrote:
Loriath wrote:Has anyone read the Lost Fleet series ??

Yeah, I liked that series. The last I read, I think, was when they visited Sol and got into some trouble. I think there's been 1 or maybe 2 since then that I need to catch up with.

***edit***
Just checked and I had finished the original series. It was the sequel series "Beyond the Frontier" that I still have the last couple books to read. ;)

I am at roughly the same point, and have also enjoyed the series. I think there is one book (or maybe two) that I have not yet read. I have found them pretty good. They can get a little repetitive, but not nearly to the extent that happens with Weber's series.

Zieman wrote:Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy is a great take on colonising Mars, harder scifi than Reynolds.

I have just finished reading this trilogy. It definitely has hard science, but contains more than a little hard sociology and political stuff.

bootsam wrote:Oh and absolutely anything by Philip K Dick. Seriously anything the guy was a genius and essentially got there first with any futurisms.

I usually recommend people start with a PKD short story collection, like this one.

bootsam wrote:I loved Asimovs Foundation series and AC Clarkes novel 2001 makes the movie make sense.

But I will miss Iam M Banks (RIP) sci fi books. Especially his 'Culture' series. They were brill.

Did you know that the file 2001 was not (exactly) based upon the novel?

I only started reading IMB shortly before he died. I picked up Surface Detail because it was on a Kindle sale, and have since read the first three of the series and plan to get to the rest. Not all are on Kindle, though. :(
Jameson & Son are my copilots

bootsam
Expert
Expert
CMDR: bootsam

Postby bootsam » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:38 am

Yes as I understand it the film came together as a collaboration with SJK and the film came before the book. However it is an easy read as ACC style of writing is one of my favourites. Like Asimov, he just has a knack of having a nice easy style. I especially loved his RAMA books too.

Ive just completed Jack Vances Night Lamp which was great up until the end when I felt dissapointed. Now reading Semulcra by PKD.

I read the Lost Fleet series and found it 'okay'. Twas a bit too twee at times for me and more of an action book in space rather than any real science fiction. Once i finished the series I then I left his other books alone.

I am currently working my way through the entire Masterworks Sci Fi collection. But I have to say my fave so far was Alfred Bester's The Stars my Destination. I loved that. Even my wife is reading it and she doesnt read sci fi. :)

edited: to fix book name error. thnx Hrdina
Last edited by bootsam on Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

possedi amabilia fasciculum coconuts

Avago-Earo
Master
Master
CMDR: AVAGO EARO
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby Avago-Earo » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:47 am

What a lot of interesting titles people have posted. Think I'll check them out once I've finished Nelson Mandella's biography and one or two more.

They sure sound like they beat my last 'recommended' read; Wuthering f***ing Heights. That book damn nearly killed me.
"Wibble"

Hrdina
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Hrdina

Postby Hrdina » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:06 am

bootsam wrote:Yes as I understand it the film came together as a collaboration with SJK and the film came before the book. However it is an easy read as ACC style of writing is one of my favourites. Like Asimov, he just has a knack of having a nice easy style. I especially loved his RAMA books too.

Agreed, I am a huge fan of both ACC and Asimov, largely because of the way they write.

bootsam wrote:I am currently working my way through the entire Masterworks Sci Fi collection. But I have to say my fave so far was Alfred Bester's The Stars my Destiny. I loved that. Even my wife is reading it and she doesnt read sci fi. :)

I think that's Destination, rather than Destiny, but yes highly recommended.

Avago-Earo wrote:They sure sound like they beat my last 'recommended' read; Wuthering f***ing Heights. That book damn nearly killed me.

The Semaphore version was better.
Jameson & Son are my copilots

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:19 pm

This classic series is a must read - if you can find it.

► Show Spoiler
It's time to give this another go.

Wheaticus
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Wheaticus

Postby Wheaticus » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:55 am

The forever war is pretty Damn good read all of it today

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Arbalest9
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Aleste Strahl

Postby Arbalest9 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:57 am

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath

Postby Loriath » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:13 am

I would also like to point out that there is a nice Mini-Series Audio book available for free in Chapter downloads (Podcast form for those that have a podcast catcher app). It is called Elite:Escape Velocity and is available from the same people that do the LAVE Radio podcast (which is also about Elite).

Find it here: Season 1 http://laveradio.com/EscapeVelocity/s1_catchup.htm and Season 2 http://laveradio.com/EscapeVelocity/

For those that don't know, LAVE Radio Podcast is a (try to be)weekly podcast about all the goings on in the Elite Dangerous universe. Lave Radio also has a Radio station, and some of the members there are also behind Hutton Orbital Radio (http://huttonorbital.com/) as well.
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

Wulfy
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Wulf Sternhammer

Postby Wulfy » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:43 pm

Okay coming out of left field a bit with these, but does anyone listen to Audiobooks?

I have an account with Audible, however there are a few places where you can get audio books legally for free. As for Sci Fi I HIGHLY recommend the following:

Nathan Lowell's series (also available from Amazon in print);
Quarter Share http://podiobooks.com/title/trader-tale ... ter-share/
Half Share http://podiobooks.com/title/trader-tales-2-half-share/
Full Share http://podiobooks.com/title/trader-tales-3-full-share/
Double Share http://podiobooks.com/title/trader-tale ... ble-share/
Captains Share http://podiobooks.com/title/trader-tale ... ins-share/
Owners Share http://podiobooks.com/title/trader-tale ... ers-share/

Also check out anything on Podiobooks by Scott Sigler (hes also in print too)
IGN: WULF STERNHAMMER

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Tue May 09, 2017 10:02 pm

I thought I'd review this topic as I'm looking for something to read. I think I'll start off by giving the 'Spinward Fringe' series a try - first one's free on Amazon. And also maybe the '... Share' series.

But I can give some new advice on what NOT to read. I've made some regrettable purchases recently - even at only 99 cents for a trilogy!

Avoid at all costs 'The Universe In Flames' trilogy by Christian Kallias. I can't believe I made it halfway through the first book, but they are really short books. It read like it was written by a fourteen year old for an eight year old. I can only blame the modern education/indoctrination system of today. And yes, when he says 'universe', he means universe - as in saving the entire universe.

Another disappointment was 'The Ship Series' by Jerry Aubin. I gave up partway through the first book. Just really amateurish writing - maybe OK for young people, but just too stupid for me.

Lastly, the 'Earthrise' series by Daniel Arenson. I thought the first book was pretty good (though nothing I hadn't read before). So I gave the second a try and it was horrible. Just a complete u-turn from the first book. It started out OK, but then just got very bizarre and I ended up quitting it.

These aren't space SCI FI, but I've found them extremely good reads. I guess they'd be called fantasy.

'Son of the Black Sword' (saga of the Forgotten Warrior book 1) by Larry Correia. I'd never read anything like it before and had a hard time putting it down. IMO, a very original story.

Another original story, imo, is found in 'The Way of Kings' (Stormlight Archive Book 1) by Brandon Sanderson, and 'Words of Radiance' (book 2), with book 3 coming out this November. There are supposed to be 10 books in all, so if he can keep it up there may be good reads for the next couple of decades (if I live that long).
It's time to give this another go.

Return to “Off-Topic”