Not related at all to the game or group
Wulfy
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Wulf Sternhammer
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Good space Science fiction books?

Postby Wulfy » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:07 am

I can highly recommend "Ready Player One" as a book to read. If you grew up in the 80's you'll love it.

Best to read it before the film comes out and ruins it for all time.
IGN: WULF STERNHAMMER

uvelius
Master
Master
CMDR: Uvelius Sång

Postby uvelius » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:10 am

Definitely my favourite, by far:
Stanislav Lem, Niezwyciężony (The Invincible).
One of the few real legends of literature, excellent style, and far ahead of it's time.

Excellent read, excellent audiobook, really gripping (though as Eschbach goes, there is a tiny bit of too-much-honey here and there):
Andreas Eschbach, Quest(a very, very good space opera, properly detailed)

Nice and with fine surprises, good characters (of course):
George R. R. Martin, Tuf Voyaging

Neither Steven Baxter's Long Earth nor Proxima series could really convince me, though both have compelling core concepts. They felt too ... randomish. Maybe too much "bake a novel by recipe" or something? Don't know.

Yet I am one of those who think that while Asimov was an excellent factbook writer, he wasn't really good on writing novels. His Foundation saga was great in it's core concept but dusty in style and lacking vision of future's society already when he published it. *awaiting the stones*

EDIT Did I already post something here in the past? Sorry if that is the case ... time passes ...

damon8r351
Novice
Novice
CMDR: damon8r351

Postby damon8r351 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:54 pm

Not really a "good" science fiction book, it's more something you'd read to keep yourself entertained on a long flight, but I like Fortune's Pawn by Rachel Bach. The main character is a cocky, smart-mouth female mercenary who's in it for the money and the glory, and it's the character I based my Commander on.

Return to “Off-Topic”