Not related at all to the game or group
Relix Typhon
Master
Master
CMDR: Relix Typhon
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Good space Science fiction books?

Postby Relix Typhon » Wed May 10, 2017 7:21 am

Apologies if these suggestions have been given earlier in the thread but I'm too lazy to read through it all :lol:

I'm an avid reader and can highly recommend The Black Fleet trilogy by Joshua Dalzelle. The first two of the next trilogy are also available called the expansion wars.
Also the first Star Crusaders trilogy by Michael G Thomas is good. The first book in particular is just brutal ass kicking in space and on the ground.
Gridlinked by Neil Asher is also worth a read, but the following books don't live up as much, unfortunately

Then we have the pinnacle of Sci fi writing in the Culture series by the late Iain M Banks. If you haven't read any of these, do so. Immediately.

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Wed May 10, 2017 5:01 pm

RD-83 wrote:Then we have the pinnacle of Sci fi writing in the Culture series by the late Iain M Banks. If you haven't read any of these, do so. Immediately.

I don't know - I read about a utopian communist society ruled by advanced AI and my interest drops to about absolute zero. It reminds me of 'The Time Machine', the movie, with the young blond wastoides partying all day, and then when the gong sounds they cheerfully go to their slaughter.
It's time to give this another go.

Relix Typhon
Master
Master

Postby Relix Typhon » Wed May 10, 2017 8:18 pm

Roger Wilco Jr wrote:
RD-83 wrote:Then we have the pinnacle of Sci fi writing in the Culture series by the late Iain M Banks. If you haven't read any of these, do so. Immediately.

I don't know - I read about a utopian communist society ruled by advanced AI and my interest drops to about absolute zero. It reminds me of 'The Time Machine', the movie, with the young blond wastoides partying all day, and then when the gong sounds they cheerfully go to their slaughter.

It's not really like that. The stories and characters, whether human, alien or AI are fabulous.
For example as one self proclaimed "borderline eccentric and very slightly psychotic" warship says
"I'm a state of the art abominator class warship and I dont really have to answer to any fucker" :D :D

Seriously, if you want beautifuly written, intelligent Sci fi with layers and layers of story, you have to read them. Surface detail and Excession are my personal faves. The player of games is less spacey but I guarantee you've never been on the edge of your seat for a game you don't understand!

Orochimaru
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Orochimaruh

Postby Orochimaru » Sun May 14, 2017 7:10 am

Pyropaten wrote:Hello all. Can someone recommend any good Science fictions books? Even better, any with a good audio version?

Thanks in advance

A must read is Dune, by Frank Herbert.
I do not know if anyone has already mentioned this book, but it's a must read.

Also Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, by PKD.

Sent from my LON-L29 using Tapatalk
//"ye meet orochi crazy ass vulture pilot" ^^

Greylock3491
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Greylock3491

Postby Greylock3491 » Mon May 15, 2017 10:22 am

Besides playing a lot of Elite, I also read a lot of Sci Fi books - 70 last year - with Amazon's Kindle Unlimited subscription.

Below are some of the absolutely best new Sci Fi Space series in the world imho:

Battlecruiser Alamo Series
The Frontiers Saga
Galactic Empire Wars Series
Terran Fleet Command Saga
Starship Blackbeard Series
Castle Federation Series
Star Cross Series
ATLAS Series
Rise Of Mankind Series
Empire Rising Series
The Ember War Saga

...and about twelve more series lol - ran out of time - if you read any of these let me know what you think!

TRINITY XXXXXXX
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: TRINITY XXXXXXX

Postby TRINITY XXXXXXX » Mon May 15, 2017 12:58 pm

IM INTO space sci fi ill give u sum my favorities

honour harrington series start from basalisc station
peter f . hamilton the void trilogy this is a work of art
neal asher the agent cormac series the skinner series really good books i mean really read all his sci fi work its good
iain banks excession thestate of the art surface detail are good rest his work can be little slow

start with this david webber starfire seriess

i could email u or any1 else pdf copys or if ur really nice i could put em into any format u need

Relix Typhon
Master
Master

Postby Relix Typhon » Mon May 15, 2017 4:15 pm

TRINITY XXXXXXX wrote:IM INTO space sci fi ill give u sum my favorities

honour harrington series start from basalisc station
peter f . hamilton the void trilogy this is a work of art
neal asher the agent cormac series the skinner series really good books i mean really read all his sci fi work its good
iain banks excession thestate of the art surface detail are good rest his work can be little slow

start with this david webber starfire seriess

i could email u or any1 else pdf copys or if ur really nice i could put em into any format u need

I really disliked The state of the art.

I nearly added Agent Cormac to my list but, for me, it got a bit strange after book 2 or 3, I can't remember.

Peter F Hamilton has been on my list for a while but his ebooks are overpriced, they're like £7 and it's not new stuff lol

TRINITY XXXXXXX
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: TRINITY XXXXXXX

Postby TRINITY XXXXXXX » Tue May 16, 2017 6:57 pm

as i said my email is cocopaul777@gmail.com i could email u copy,s in any format u like ill do this 4 any1 who asks long as its not 100s people lol o/ and if we all liked disliked the same things life would be very dull
for me cormac books are 1 best series iv read im into hard sci-fi so i like it out there
the thought of races long dead leaving a mark for us to follow draws me like the smell of bacon in the morning

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Wed May 17, 2017 9:36 pm

I have not read any sci-fi for years......

Last ones I really enjoyed was the Rama series......

But Hamilton and the Cormac books sound interesting.....

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

Caleb Isaacs
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Caleb Isaacs

Postby Caleb Isaacs » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:45 pm

Another heartfelt recommendation for Iain Banks's sci-fi stuff. They really are very good indeed. Beautifully written, highly imaginative, and shot through with a black sense of humour. Start with Consider Phlebas and read in order of publication, although I think The Player of Games is my favourite. I was genuinely upset when he passed way as he was by far my favourite author and seemed like a good bloke to boot. (His non-sci-fi stuff is very good as well, by the way)

Alastair Reynolds's stuff is definitely worth a look too. His style leans more towards the harder end of science fiction (he used to work for the European Space Agency), but not at the expense of plotting or pace. He's quite prolific, so it's hard to know where to start, but his Revelation Space series is a cracking read and rattles along at a fair old pace.

I might be pushing my luck here with a bit of shameless promotion, but I've written a few novels in my time featuring big space battles, ancient alien races and the like. Take a look if that sounds like your sort of thing.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dan-Worth/e/B004G7A1HA/

Return to “Off-Topic”